There is no magic to growing a successful social media presence. It takes hard work and dedication.
To grow your business on social media, you will need a strategy and goals.
If you don’t have those in place, stop reading right here… this article won’t do you any good.
Assuming you do have a strategy, here are a few tips and tricks that you can work into your tactics. Growth won’t be an overnight sensation, but the right approach works every time.
1. Be Consistent
We always say, “you have to show up every day and put in the work,” and that’s true for achieving success no matter what your job title is.
Consistency on social media means posting regularly, on a schedule that’s right for your business and audience, and in a consistent voice. Stick to your strategy. Consistency and diligence are your strategy’s best friend.
One of the simplest tips to growing your social media – link to it at every opportunity.
There should be links on your company’s website, email blast, blogs, and every employee’s email signature. Print it on brochures, catalogs, or wherever you would include contact information.
3. Follow the 80/20 Rule
This fantastic tip should turn into your new favorite rule. 80% of your posts on social media should be content that is helpful, entertaining, informative and delightful for your audience. The other 20% is reserved for self-promotion.
This rule turns your page into a great source of information that your audience will engage with and want to come back to again and again.
4. Don’t Try To Do It All
You certainly CAN be on every platform and try all of the latest apps, but FOMO (fear of missing out) is never a good reason for creating a new social media platform.
Re-visit your strategy and see if it makes sense for your business to be on the new platform that everyone is buzzing about. If it doesn’t make sense, just keep on doing what works for your business. It’s always best to be excellent at one or two things than mediocre at many.
5. Think of Social Media as an Extension of PR
Don’t leave social media out of your major announcements. Even if traditional media channels are the goal with your press release, including social media is a way to extend your message and make it accessible to more of your audience.
- Live stream a check presentation for event sponsorships
- Tweet out quotes from executives after tweeting out your press release link
- Post photos or video from announcement events
- Post an infographic that highlights the content of your press release
- Thank partners or sponsors, 0r any opportunity for recognition
6. Nurture Customer Service
One of the best ways to grow your business on social media is by being good at social customer service.
If customers are using social media to ask question or report issues, it’s time to embrace social media as a part of your customer care efforts. Respond quickly (most people expect a response under 4 hours) and with a customer service attitude. It will set you apart from your competition and make your platforms an asset to your clients.
Even though there is no easy button for social media success, there are best practices. Sharing a few useful tips and tricks to maximize your time and efforts is always a good place to start.