Instagram recently revealed that over 200,000 businesses have taken advantage of its advertising platform since it was launched in September 2015.
This announcement leads us to explore the business of Instagram.
What types of businesses are using the platform in their marketing efforts? Who is today’s Instagram consumer? How are businesses leveraging Instagram to further their marketing goals?
Below you will find the results of our investigation into the business of Instagram.
If your business is debating joining Instagram, this data will help you make an informed decision about whether the Instagram platform is a good fit for your business and industry.
Statistics to Help Your Business Instagram
From non-profits to Fortune 500 companies, Instagram is proving to be a powerful marketing tool.
Who Is Using Instagram
Businesses of all sizes and types are using Instagram as a part of their marketing efforts.
- 9% of small businesses use Instagram
- 33% of Fortune 500 companies use Instagram
- 23% of U.S. brands use Instagram
- 32.3% of U.S. companies with 100+ employees use Instagram
- 90% of Interbrand 100 Companies use an Instagram account
Industries Using Instagram
All industries seem to be embracing Instagram, at least to some degree.
- 96% of U.S. fashion brands use Instagram
- 91% of retail brands use Instagram
- 50% of charities and nonprofits use Instagram
Industries with the most Instagram followers in 2015:
- Sporting Goods
- Luxury Goods
Industries with the highest Instagram follower growth rates in 2015:
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods
Industries with the most engagement on Instagram in 2015:
- Sporting Goods
Instagram advertising is proving to be a powerful tool for businesses.
- 200,000 – Number of businesses using Instagram ads
- 200 – Number of countries with businesses using Instagram ads
- 25 – Percentage of Instagram advertisers located outside of the United States
- $66.75 – Average sales order value for visitors referred by Instagram
- $0.65 – Global Instagram ad cost-per-click
- 0.9 – Global Instagram ad click-through rate
Instagram Publishing Habits of Brands
Looking at the posting habits of brands reveals several key trends that all businesses on Instagram can take advantage of to improve engagement.
- 7 – Number of times per week the average brand posts on Instagram
- 35 – Percentage of brand posts that include emojis
- ❤ (Heart) – Emoji that generates the most engagement on Instagram for brands
- 2.5 – Average number of hashtags used by brand posts on Instagram
- 9 – Percentage of brands who utilize user-generated content on their Instagram pages
Consumers and Brands on Instagram
The Instagram Consumer
The current Instagram consumer is young, engaged, and has money to spend. This makes it an ideal demographic for marketers.
- 75 million daily active users
- 41% of Instagram users are 16 – 24 years old
- 25% of Instagram users are 25 – 34 years old
- 52% of all US teen internet users have Instagram accounts
- 3.5 billion likes every day
- 80 million photos are posted to Instagram every day
- 75% of Instagram users live outside of the United States
- 59% of Instagram users access the site every day
- 35% of Instagram users who visit the site several times a day
- 28% of all internet users use Instagram
Consumers & Brands
Consumers are actively using Instagram as a channel to interact with brands.
- 53% of users follow brands on Instagram
- 44% of users research brands on Instagram
- 60% of users have learned about products and services on Instagram
- 75% of users have taken action after seeing an Instagram post
- Consumers remember information from sponsored posts on Instagram 2.9 times better than from other online advertising platforms
This is a lot of data to absorb, but a careful read-through will help you decide if Instagram is right for your business.